Friday, March 6, 2009

Skiing in France

¨Hey guys remember when we took that high school field trip to France?¨ That ended up being the quote of the weekend, seeing as how the travel agency partnered us up with a bus that was comprised primarily of highschool students on a weekend field trip. As you might have guessed this made things a bit awkward. There was definitely a sense of being unwelcomed guests, but whatever. Most the students kept to themselves and didn´t bother us. The only negative interaction we had all weekend was with this one woman who must of been at least in her 40s or 50s, although she acted like she was 5. All right so here´s the story:
It was after our first day of skiing on Saturday. We were all pretty tired and ready to get back to our condo, which is only about a 20 minute bus ride down the mountain. We´re just sitting there when this woman gets on the bus and says something in Spanish, which I didn´t catch completely, but it something to the degree that we were sitting in her seat. I didn´t say anything at first because I was still trying to process what she said, and I was a little confused in general about why she was under the assumption that there were assigned seats on the tour bus. I mean how old are we honestly? Anyways she kept on moving and found a seat towards the back, so I didn´t think it was a big deal. But then we here this woman freaking out and talking to the tour guide. So then the tour guide comes up to us and speaks to us in english. She says that she really doesn´t care, but we have to sit in the same seats we came there in, because those women want to sit up here with their friends. I was like, ¨seriously?¨Then we here her going on and on about ¨stupid english immigrants,¨¨get back to England,¨so apparently she thought we were english. I just found that funny because we were in France at the time and she´s spanish, so she´s as much of an immigrant as we were. Secondly, if you have such a problem with foreigners coming into y0ur country, why don´t you stop listening to all American music and watching all American movies and tv. Honestly, I hear it everywhere I go, and all of their movies are dubbed American ones. Give me a break.
Other than that, the weekend was a blast. The skiing was pretty good, although the conditions could have been a bit better on Sunday. I wasn´t overly impressed, but I think I had built it up a little too much because it was in France. Either way it sure beat the hell out of the skiing I normally get to do at lovely Bristol Mountain.
Trip Highlights:
1. We found this amazing view at the top of the mountain where you could looked over our town and had a great place to sit down and take in the mountains. The back side of the peak didn´t have any snow on it, and it looked liked a spot where you expect to see a billy goat come around the corner. Tana ended up hanging out there for about 30-40 minutes-no joke. It was towards the end of the day and I think both of us were done skiing at that point.
2. The dinner on Saturday night was amazing. It was a really nice three course meal in a this great little restaurant for only 12 euros. It started with an appetizer platter of cabbage, salted cucumber slice, cous cous, and salami. Kind of a weird combination I know, but it was good. Then most of us had chicken our fish, with surprisingly flavorful coeur flower and french fries. Then you had a choice between caramel flan or chocolate mousse, I went with the chocolate mousse.
3. Our breakfast sunday morning was stellar. We had gone shopping the night before, I got waffles and nutella, a deadly combination. we also had a loaf of really good bread, some yogurt, fruit, and coffee. It was great condsidering the day before I had a tangerine and a some stale bread for breakfast.
4. The crazy woman on the bus. Although she pissed us off at first, at least she gave us a story.
I put up some pictures of the trip below. I´ll write again soon. We´re going to Barcelona next weekend so that should give me stuff to right about. Until Next time.
-Mike
Picture Perfect Mountains
The 4 skiiers at lunch

We felt like giants ontop of a mountain in this picture. This is the spot Tana and I found that we ended up sitting down and hanging out for about a half an hour.
Same Spot
Same Spot
Some delicious looking flan at the french restaurant we went to that night
My chocolate Mousse
All of us after dinner

Turn Ons: Churros con Chocolate
Turn Offs: Really bad 80s mullets, especially on spanish girls. I swear I´ve uncle Jesse and Ralph Machio on the metro.









No comments:

Post a Comment